How to use advanced grinding technology to perform functions other than grinding modern machinery workshop

United Grinding demonstrated how a rethinking of traditional grinding technology and how combined with manufacturing processes can expand the role of grinding and increase the productivity of grinding machines.
To be sure, multitasking machines are nothing new-they have been around for many years. In most cases, these machines incorporate similar chip manufacturing processes. Similarly, a machine that combines processes (machines that combine different processes) is not a new concept, but with the development of the company and fine-tuning of complementary technologies, new process combinations are still emerging.

A recent visit to the United Grinding Company’s factory in Miamisburg, Ohio, provided an opportunity to understand how far the bonding process can go in improving machining efficiency and even changing the role that the machine tool might play. North American United Grinding Company represents eight CNC grinding machine brands: Studer, Schaudt, Mikrosa, Mägerle, Blohm, Jung, Walter and Ewag. It serves high-value component manufacturers and cutting tool manufacturers in the aerospace, automotive, medical and defense sectors. Its equipment consists entirely of grinders, but some of them can even do more. Under these conditions, the grinders that can do more will become more powerful.
United Grinding provides a five-axis grinding center MFP-30 under the Mägerle brand. This is a composite process machine tool designed to grind complex geometries, especially small blades and blades or heat shields for aviation turbines Geometry.

Weiss said that especially small component manufacturers will see the huge benefits of this type of machine. Compared with multiple settings on a single machine, it has the ability to perform grinding operations as well as milling and drilling in a single clamping, which can improve accuracy and shorten cycle time. However, Weiss was quick to point out that it is still a grinder.
Phil Wiss discussed the MFP-30 combined process grinding, milling and drilling machine. He said that it is very suitable for manufacturing small aerospace parts.
He said: “Manufacturers should abide by the ’80/20′ rule when using multi-process grinders.” “This means that 80% of its time should be used for grinding operations, and the other 20% can be used for grinding or Drilling operations.” He said that compared with this high-precision grinder, manufacturers seeking to use a multi-process grinder for a larger proportion of milling and drilling are best to buy a more economical standalone machine.

He direct drive spindle speed of the machine tool is 12,000 rpm, and it can use cubic boron nitride (CBN) grinding wheels for grinding or alumina grinding wheels for creep grinding. Weiss said: “Deep feed grinding is a process that can provide capabilities beyond your imagination.” Using creep feed grinding, manufacturers can perform greater cutting depths than traditional surface grinding. Even if the slow moving speed is increased, the material removal rate (MRR) that can be achieved is much higher than that of fine grinding. Another way that manufacturers can rethink the manufacture of small parts is to use grinding instead of chip manufacturing, especially when cutting harder materials commonly used in aerospace applications. Among these materials, the development of grinding wheels has improved the MRR of creep feed mills. Ultimately, when manufacturers also have the opportunity to use chip cutting tools for operations (such as precision drilling parts in a single clamping cycle), creep feed grinding becomes an easier choice for manufacturing parts.
Another key multi-process machine from United Grinding demonstrates how rethinking the way tool grinding can open up new growth channels without the manufacturer deviating from its comfort zone. The machine is Walter Helitronic Power Diamond400. It combines the rotary corrosion of polycrystalline diamond (PCD) and cubic nitride (CBN) tools and the grinding of carbide and high-speed steel (HSS) tools.
The Walter Helitronic Power Diamond 400 combines rotary erosion and grinding, enabling manufacturers to produce PCD tools in one clamping cycle. Simon Manns explained that both new and old manufacturers in the PCD market can use it.
According to Simon Manns, general manager of the tool department, this machine can bring huge benefits to manufacturers who enter the production of PCD tools. He said: “This machine enables these manufacturers to grind cemented carbide tools until they can break into the PCD market-this is an entry-level approach to PCD tool.shuiyinwuzhou


Post time: Mar-15-2021

Send your message to us: